Do you have address? Seems its a funny question! No, its not a funny question. There are people who doesn't have an address (sometimes people deliberately hide their address for some reasons) in the society. Address proof is a mandatory requirement to open a bank account, getting admission / joining to an institution / office, passport etc.
What is Address?
Address is a clear and acceptable proof of a person that to be traced by existing systems like Postal, Courier, and through another Person. It can be easily jotted in one line to multiple lines called address lines, mostly within three to five short lines started with your name, followed by house name or number, followed by locality name / street name where your house situated, followed by place name and PIN Code of the post office. You can elaborate address further with Village, City / District, State and Country.
What is Address Proof? How to Obtain It?
Address proof is a documentary evidence indicating to trace and find a person residing or working either permanently or temporarily. It has to be made by presenting the evidence in-front of authority or agency appointed by Central / State Govt.
Acceptable Address Proof For Passport Application
Following are the Acceptable address proof to be attached along with Passport application. From the list below, any one out of 13 address proof documents can be used.
- Aadhaar Card
- Election Commission Photo ID card
- Applicant's current and valid ration card (If any applicant submits only ration card as proof of address, it should be accompanied by one more proof of address out of the given categories).
- Parent's passport copy, in case of minors (First and last page)
- Water Bill (within three months)
- Telephone (land-line or post paid mobile bill)
- Electricity bill
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Proof of Gas Connection
- Certificate from Employer of reputed companies on letter head (Only public limited companies can give address proof on company letter head along with seal. Computerized print-outs shall not be entertained).
- Spouse's passport copy (First and last page including family details), (provided the applicant's present address matches the address mentioned in the spouses passport)
- Registered Rent Agreement (for a period of more than one year)
- Photo Passbook of running Bank Account (Scheduled Public Sector Banks, Scheduled Private Sector Indian Banks and Regional Rural Banks only. See the list of Banks given below)
Notes to the Applicant
- Applicants are required to submit the proof of address of the present address only, irrespective of the date from which he/she has been residing at the given address. However, he/she is required to mention all the places of stay during previous one year (from the date of application filling) in the Passport application form.
- Aadhaar letter/card or the e-Aadhaar (an electronically generated letter from the website of UIDAI), as the case may be, will be accepted as Proof of Address (POA) and Proof of Photo-Identity (POI) for availing passport related services. Acceptance of Aadhaar as PoA and PoI would be subject to successful validation with Aadhaar database.
- For Minor: For minor applicants, present address proof document in the name of parent(s) can be submitted.
- List of Public sector Banks whose statements / passbooks are accepted as Proof of Address for passports given below:
- Allahabad Bank
- Andhra Bank
- Bank of Baroda
- Bank of India
- Bank of Maharashtra
- Canara Bank
- Central Bank of India
- Corporation Bank
- Dena Bank
- Indian Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Oriental Bank of Commerce
- Punjab National Bank
- Punjab & Sind Bank
- Syndicate Bank
- Union Bank of India
- United Bank of India
- UCO Bank
- Vijaya Bank
- IDBI Bank Ltd.
- State Bank of India
- State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur
- State Bank of Patiala
- State Bank of Hyderabad
- State Bank of Mysore
- State Bank of Travancore