What is the procedure for applying a Passport in India? How to renew it? If expired what are the extra measures to be taken for renewing it again? These are the common questions arose when one think about a Passport application. Let's have a look at each of them.
One can apply on line for: A fresh passport (if you have never possessed a passport earlier), re-issue of passport (if your present passport of 10 years validity has expired or will expire in next 12 months), duplicate passport (if your present passport is lost or damaged).
Benefits of Online Application for Indian Passport
1. Applicants can get scheduled date and timing to submit required documents and fee to concerned officer at Regional Passport Office
2. There is no need to stay in long queue
Who can apply online application for Indian Passport?
1. Person who is eligible to get the Passport are eligible for online application
2. Only the residents falling under the jurisdiction of the respective Passport offices are eligible to apply on-line through passportindia.gov.in website
3. Currently, online application for Passport is available for the following cities only: Ahmedabad, Amritsar, Bangalore, Bareilly, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Chandigarh, Chennai, Kochi, Coimbatore, Dehradun, Delhi, Ghaziabad, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Jallandhar, Jammu, Kolkata, Kozhikode, Lucknow, Madurai, Malapuram, Mumbai, Nagpur, Patna, Pune, Raipur, Ranchi, Shimla, Srinagar, Surat, Thane, Trichy, Trivandrum, Vishakhapatnam.
Requirements for Applying Indian Passport
Proof of address, Proof of date of birth, Required fee (in cash or as DD) and Passport size colour photo.
Procedures of Online Application for Applying Indian Passport
1. Through the Passport website passportindia.gov.in you can register your application with the respective Passport offices
2. After registration, the system will ask you to Open / Save your application form for the Passport
3. After Open / Save, please take the print the application form
4. If you are not able to print the application form for any reason, you must note down the application number. With the help of this application number and date of birth you can re-print the application form later
5. You can also print the application if you have Saved the application
6. There are still some columns in the Passport application form which you will have to fill by hand
7. You will have to visit Passport office to submit the completed application form along with fee, supporting documents such as date of birth certificate etc. on the appointed day and time
8. The date and time of appointment at Passport office will be informed by the on-line system and will also be printed on the application form
Please visit Passport office on the appointed date and time. You should arrive at Regional Passport office (RPO) about 15 minutes before the appointed time and proceed to the respective counter
On line applicants do not need to obtain a token number for submitting their applications. You will not have to wait long in the queue
Fees to be Paid for Applying Indian Passport
Passport application fee is to be paid along with the application form, either by Bank Draft in favour of the Passport Officer concerned or in cash. In case of DD, full name of applicant and application number to be written on the reverse of the draft.
The Bank Code of Issuing Bank, the Demand Draft Number and date of issue of the Demand Draft should be mentioned. Details of payment of fee may be mentioned in the relevant boxes in the Passport application form.